The South Jersey Chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO SJ) was formed in February 2003 and was granted chapter status from NAWBO National in June 2003. NAWBO SJ provides support, education, mentoring, and networking opportunities for women business owners and their associates in the region. The organization serves the needs of women business owners in the following New Jersey counties: Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Cumberland, Salem, Atlantic, Cape May and portions of Mercer.
NAWBO Vision and Mission
The National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO) propels women entrepreneurs into economic, social and political spheres of power worldwide by:
- Strengthening the wealth creating capacity of our members and promoting economic development within the entrepreneurial community
- Creating innovative and effective change in the business culture
- Building strategic alliances, coalitions and affiliations
- Transforming public policy and influencing opinion makers
One of the best ways to get gain visibility for yourself and your business is to volunteer and join a committee or the chapter’s board of directors.
Board Member Requirements and Expectations:
- Be a voting member of NAWBO in good standing.
- Have a desire to help others.
- Be able to donate 10-20 hours a month to your position.
- Commit to one monthly board meeting (second Friday of the month).
- Previous board experience a plus but not necessary.
- Serve a two-year term.
- Solicit volunteers from the general membership to assist in acting out the list of duties and activities within each position.
Join a Committee
Our member volunteers help the chapter grow and succeed by creating, running and promoting events, seeking sponsors and corporate partners, communicating with members, and advocating on behalf of women business owners. Whatever your talent or area of expertise, we’d love to have you join one of our committees:
- To act as an ambassador in welcoming new members.
- To reach out to women business owners, provide information on the benefits of membership, and to encourage and assist them in becoming members.
- To continue to connect with members throughout their membership, help them with any questions they may have about NAWBO, and assist them in renewing when their membership is up for renewal.
- To organize our monthly Network Connect schedule, by keeping track of the Network Connect calendar, and providing a point-of-contact for hosts throughout the planning and execution of their Network Connect event.
- To provide a rich membership experience and to raise awareness of our chapter by developing networking and educational programs and events throughout the year.
- Planning and executing these programs and events.
Treasury / Finance Committee:
- Annual budget
- Bookkeeping and banking transactions.
- Invoicing, bill payments, reimbursements.
- Tracking corporate sponsor renewal dates, handling invoicing and follow up.
- Working with other committees to coordinate event budgets.
- Cash flow projections and analysis.
- Communications to board regarding relevant financial data.
- To make connections with corporations located in South Jersey, or corporations who do business in South Jersey.
- To create strategic alliances with these corporations.
- To develop and maintain partnerships, which helps corporations build their brand and grow their bottom line through opportunities to sell and affiliate with NAWBO’s network of successful and loyal women entrepreneurs.
- To establish and maintain relationships with state and local representatives.
- To review legislation in support, opposition or to take no position.
- To organize advocacy education and related events.
- Responsible for all aspects of communications and advertising for our South Jersey chapter.
- Copywriting, graphic design, content creation, email marketing, social media, public and media relations, and networking.
- Prior marketing experience helpful but not necessary.
- Brainstorming ideas to generate awareness for NAWBO SJ.
- Executing detailed strategies for marketing.
- Participation on this committee provides a great opportunity to learn more about certain marketing functions.
Diversity and Inclusion:
- Meets monthly to create initiatives and events that support the goal of enhancing the environment for diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Goal is to bring together members of the community who are engaged in diversity outreach initiatives.